Thursday, December 7, 2023

Construction Update #15 - Rolling Stock, Track Gang moves South, Throttle Lanyards & Structures

Rolling Stock Additions

November 29, 2023

Three nice pieces of rolling stock got added to the roster this week; a D&RGW short reefer and two D&RGW drop bottom gondolas.  While I don't recall seeing any photos of drop bottom gons on the RGS, I couldn't resist adding two more to the one I already had.  I guess, during an operating session, they will just get shuttled between the D&RGW connections at Ridgway and Durango (staging).

 

The Track Gang moves South

November 30, 2023

With the arrival of rail joiners and QuickStrips laser cut ties the track gang moved south from Vance Junction.

Around the end of the peninsula across the future location of Bridge 44A where the 463 stalled on the 2.25% grade,

Across the future location of Bridge 45A, carefully, with two less cars.

To Ophir

And Ophir Siding

Goose #3 southbound on the "High Line" such as it is.

And northbound at Matterhorn

 

Lanyards for my NCE Throttles

Concrete floors are hard on wireless hand held throttles.  I currently have 3 that need to go back to NCE for repairs.  My friend and fellow modeler Lee Thwaits provided me with a solution.  Lee bought some inexpensive lanyards, fabricated a mounting bracket and gave them to me.  All I had to do was take out two screws on the back of the throttle, hold the bracket in place and replace the screws.  Now they can be hung around an operators neck without the possibility of being dropped.

 

Structures

I never pass up the opportunity to acquire high quality structures that can be used on the layout.  Here are a few that I acquired for the 1st District.  All were built by Bruce Hanley

The Ophir General store was built from a Banta kit.  It was modified to fit the available space.  As it turns out, the modifications make it suitable for my limited space.  

Here are two cool little houses.  The first one will go in Placerville; the second one will be used along the right of way between Vanadium and Vance Junction. .

And a cool little coal storage bin.

 

Structure For Sale or Trade

The Chama Lube House - I built this from a the P-B-L kit (Sn3).  I added the small loading dock but it is easily removed.  The roof is also removable.  I built this for my previous Sn3 layout but unfortunately it isn't suitable for the current RGS 1st District.  If you are interested, contact me sdepolo@outlook.com


As always, your comments, suggestions and questions are welcome.

 sdepolo@outlook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment