Saturday, December 16, 2023

Construction Update #16 - A Temporary Reverse Loop at Trout Lake, Vance Jct Coal Pockets & Ridgway Yard Bench Work

 

A Reverse Loop at Trout Lake?

December 13, 2023

The track gang has arrived at Trout Lake. Unfortunately, I only have a few section of P-B-L Code 70 left which is not nearly enough to reach Lizard Head and build the Rico staging yard and reverse loop.  And, while I have had 8 bundles on order for several weeks, it is currently out of stock and I have no expectation of receiving it any time soon.  The last time I ordered the flex it took 4 months to arrive and I only received 8 of the 10 bundles I originally ordered.  This is not a P-B-L problem.  Micro Engineering makes the P-B-L flex track and turnouts and I guess a change of ownership has led to some real production problem

Since there was enough room and track, I decide to install a temporary reverse loop at Trout Lake.  The connection for the reverse loop is shown below in red.  When the loop was finished, I had less than a full length (36") of track left.

The Trout Lake reverse loop installed and wired with a Digitrax AR-1 reversing module.

The reverse loop includes a removable section a little over 3 feet long.  Rails are kept in alignment with printed circuit board ties glued to the cork roadbed.  A Jones connector was used to power the lift out section.

 

Vance Junction Structures

The Crystal River Vance Junction coal pockets shown in the photo below came off Bruce Hanley's wonderful Sn3 Washo and Windgapp RR.  Bruce, in anticipation of a move, is currently dismantling the layout and disposing of a few models.  I was lucky enough to acquire several structures for the 1st District including several that were shown in the last post.  Bruce's layout was featured in a September 2023 video on YouTube.  Here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diE0wutTASM



The Vance Junction Section House

December 15, 2023

I have accumulated most of the kits that are available for the 1st District in Sn3 with the exception of those for Ridgway.  These include the Banta kits for the Vance Junction Section House and the Vance Junction Outbuildings.  These are relatively easy to build high quality laser cut structure kits designed, in my opinion, for an experienced modeler. Here is a progress photo.

Plan, Bench Work & Modules for Ridgway 

December 15, 2023

The bench work and modules for Ridgway are finished.  The Ridgway locomotive servicing facility will be located on the 8 foot long module directly below the display case.  The yard and depot will be around the 45 degree bend to the left.

I spent hours on SCARM trying to figure out a way to get a close representation of the Ridgway servicing area, turntable and roundhouse in the available space.  Unfortunately, the only way I could come up with a serviceable plan was to flip the prototype layout both vertically and horizontally. 


The yard will be located along this wall


Again, there isn't enough room to faithfully duplicate the prototype.

Here is the overall arrangement.



And....

December 16, 2023

Every once in a while I have to stop and straighten out one of my messes.  I keep my layout building tools is a roll away tool chest.  I spent the better part of day emptying it out, cleaning the drawers and putting thing back in order.  Not much got done on the layout today but at least I can find my tools...  Anyone seen my Xacto knife?
 

As always, your comments, questions & suggestions are welcome

sdepolo@outlook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment