Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Construction Update #3 - Weathering Warehouses, Goose #3 & Sell or Trade

Weathering the Warehouses

 
The two warehouses for Placerville are now weathered and just about ready to be placed on a module.  Except for the roof, Warehouse A/B (Oxide Red) didn't receive much weathering.  The roof was weathered with powdered paint pigments, rust, brown and black, and given a coat of Tamya Flat. 

Warehouse C received heavier weathering.  It was given a dark brown wash with acrylic craft paints and a coat of Tamya Flat followed by powdered pigments; rust, brown, gray & black.  And before anyone comments, the doors are only temporary until I can find or make doors closer to the prototype.

 

RGS Goose #3

 
RGS Goose #3 is an old PFM Import.  It was previously lettered for a private road name so I did my best to remove the old lettering without doing to much damage to the existing paint and Thin Film decals were used to apply the RGS lettering.  At some point I will probably strip the existing paint and redo it.

 
While the PFM Geese aren't quite as nice as the more recent imports from P-B-L, they can be turned into excellent running models.  The main problem with both versions is that they are very sensitive to dirty track and wheels.  I solved this problem by adding contacts to the insulated wheels giving the model 8 wheel pickup instead of 4 and by adding a current keeper along with a Soundtraxx Tsunami2 DCC sound decoder.
 
 

 Caboose #403

 
While I have quite a bit of D&RGW rolling stock, I am a little light when it comes to modeling the RGS.  In the last week or so, I added the Overland Models RGS short caboose shown below.  I also picked up a P-B-L "Foreground" model of RGS 40.  I'll post a picture of #40 in the next update.
 

Sn3 Equipment For Sale or Trade

 
Since I am going to model the RGS 1st District as closely as possible, I have at least one locomotive, some rolling stock and several structures that I would like to sell or trade.  If you are interested, please contact me at sdepolo@outlook.com  
 
P-B-L D&RGW K-28 #476 is a September 1988 "Foreground" model.  I would prefer to trade, rather than sell, for a P-B-L K-27 "Foreground" model built about the same time.
 
 
I scratch built the depot shown below about a year ago when I was planning for another layout.  It is based upon the Cumbres depot but it is not a perfect match.  The depot is wood over a styrene core with Buildiers In Scale shingles.  Colors are Floquil Depot Buff with a little white added and Floquil Roof Brown.  The overall dimensions are 9" by 7.5" including the platform.  The figure a platform details are included.  The depot and platform are mounted to a .080" sheet of styrene.  Make an offer or trade.



The Idaho Hotel - Built from Bar Mills Kit.  $225.00 or trade.


Looking for the following 

  • P-B-L RGS 2-8-0 #41
  • Vance Junction Section House (Banta)
  • Ophir General Store (Banta)
  • Ophir Mrs Skillens Store (Banta)
  • Ophir Tram House (Banta)
  • Ophir House At The End Of The Trestle (Banta)
 
 As always, your comments, suggestions and questions are welcome
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment